So this week saw a few developments for the beach house. The plasterers had begun work in the living room (minus the staircase wall), the outside of the house has been painted, we got rid of the red coloured fence, the kitchen is beginning to take shape and the curves of the archway between the kitchen and conservatory has been started.
All of these updates of course were shared over facetime, photos and emails. What would we do without modern technology?
I am super excited about the living room. As it has amazing views from both ends I feel like it will be a wonderful space to sit and relax whilst looking out to sea or watching the world go by! The plastering is ¾ complete so once the stairs are in this room will be ready for a touch of colour!
The outside of the house is DONE! We still have the roof to do but the exterior walls are complete! A superb job done by Trevor and we are even more happy with the colours now they are on the building.
The kitchen took some planning as we have changed the layout considerably and wanted it to feel like this and the dining room were one space. I had chosen the kitchen units and work top weeks ago then had a panic four days later because I didn’t think it was right. Luckily the team at Howdens are amazing and they let me pop back in and change whatever I needed to – that included the worktop, sink, taps, door handles and a couple of additional units…. Basically everything! The joiner who is working on the project has managed to make a start at fitting the kitchen this week and we are super happy that those last minute changes were made.
When we started the kitchen was a bright shade of blue with wood panelling and glass windows dividing the kitchen and sunroom. It had been a major topic of discussion since the first time we saw the place. We did really like it but we felt like it was blocking out what was potentially the most stunning view Burnsyde had to offer.
The work began to rip it out a short while ago and at this point we were still unsure what we were putting in its place. Dale and Andy were ripping out the wooden frame after removing the glass windows – I watched and took photos. Through the clouds of dust it was clear to see that what was happening at this moment was going to change the whole dynamic of the sunroom, kitchen and dining room.
The whole section was ripped out and we just stood and looked at the huge open space….we knew in that instant we should be keeping this open.
It took a couple of days for this decision to be finalised as there were worries about it leaving the whole house too cold, if it was for ourselves there would have been no hesitation but when it comes to guests we really can’t risk having a cold place to stay.
This week the beginning of the arch was taking shape and we knew we had made the right decision.
This next week couple of weeks will see the archway completed and plastered and the kitchen units finished off, stay tuned for the first look!